avril 02, 2012

Never mind... I will find someone like YOU!

'Harry - yer a wizard.'
There was silence inside the hut. Only the sea and the whistling wind could be heard.
'I'm a what?' gasped Harry.
'A wizard, o' course,' said Hagrid, sitting back down on the sofa, which groaned and sank even lower, 'an' a thumpin' good'un, I'd say, once yeh've been trained up a bit. With a mum an' dad like yours, what else would yeh be?'

--> In order to help you to understand the text below, some words or idioms have been bolded and turned into red. You can find english definitions for these words on the forum page of this topic (link below).

Fifteen years ago, completely out of the blue, was a small eleven-year-old boy making his appearance in the reading life of thousands of magical-book-aholic people.
Who would have known, in 1997, that such a "weak" novel - rejected by eight publishers before being accepted by Bloomsburry - would have become an interplanetary success and would have made, J.K. Rowling, become the world's first billionaire author?

A story about a wizard, a hidden School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a dark and dangerous villain, a fascinating plot including strong friendship, a melancholy pain of a father-and-motherless boy and... VOILA! More than 300 millions copies sold all over the world. WOW! This could surely go to anybody's head and make the new - and less new - author dream the reality away, hoping and waiting for the same kind of success for themselves.

But dream on, guys! This is absolutely exceptional and unique. Though plenty of authors are certainly as talented as Mrs. Rowling, they have to be aware that such kind of literary buzz probably occurs less than once a century - at least in our present era.

Still... But what kind of buzz are we talking about, exactly?
Well, let's try to remember!
Close your eyes (at least virtually, otherwise you won't be able to read what follows next) and think about the first time you have ever read the first page of the first book of the Harry Potter series. How have you been feeling while you were reading?  I can easily see again how I was acting:

My mum' : 'Cedric? It's time to eat!'
Me: 'Yes, I'm coming!' 
5 minutes later...
My mum': 'It's time to eeaattt!'
Me: 'Yeah, yeah! I'm coming!'
Two hours later...
My mum': 'Cedric? Your father and I are going to bed!'
Me: 'Yeah, yeah! I'm coming!'

What about after you finished the first book? How have you been feeling about the story of that lonely poor little boy? Do you remember? Because I do!

My mum': 'Cedric? It's time to go to school!'
Me': 'NO WAY! F*** the school things! I'm starting the second book!'

Ok! This is excessive reactions (and by the way, totally fake), but it's a good way to make you realize how I was feeling about all this.

OH MY GOD! This was what I have always been looking for. And please! Hogwarts was clearly the place I wanted to go... Dream on, guy! This is not real!
Still, but let's pretend it is. Anyway, even if it's not real, it has definitely the merit of making me travel, dream, smile, laugh, cry... feel ALIVE!

Now, everything is over. The books are done, and so are the movies.
All we still can do not to forget the-one-who-must-not-be-named, is reading and reading again all the series' books, let the words turn into dust in front of our eyes, before they soar, go through our bodies and remain engraved in our memory.

Oh! And for the record... Harry Potter, I will never find someone like you!

What about you?
How do you feel now this is over?
Have you been liking the Harry Potter series?
Have you ever read any Harry Potter book?
Join us on the forum to discuss your point and your feelings about it:
http://expressyourself.easyforum.fr/t2-never-mind-i-will-find-someone-like-you#2

0 commentaires: